Software Engineering, Data Science
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2023
At WHOOP, we're on a mission to unlock human performance. WHOOP empowers users to perform at a higher level through a deeper understanding of their bodies and daily lives.
WHOOP is seeking a talented and motivated Data Engineer I to join our impactful and growing team. As a Data Engineer I at WHOOP, you will play a crucial role in building and maintaining the infrastructure and data pipelines that support our data-driven applications and analytics platform. You’ll grow as an engineer as you learn new technologies and write high quality, testable, scalable code. Your work will ensure the availability of critical data, enhance the performance and scalability of our systems, and drive data-related initiatives which empower our users with insights that optimize their health and performance.
- Implement, optimize, and maintain ETL (Extract, Transform, Load) processes to move, transform, and store data from various sources into our data warehouse.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including data analysts, data scientists, and software engineers to understand data requirements and design efficient and scalable data pipelines.
- Develop and maintain data models that facilitate data consistency, integrity, and efficiency. Design and implement data warehouse schemas, ensuring proper partitioning to support the performance needs of analytical queries.
- Monitor the performance of data pipelines and databases, identifying bottlenecks and inefficiencies and implement optimizations to enhance system performance and stability.
- Contribute to the development of Whoop’s modern data stack which is built on cloud computing platforms (e.g. AWS, Azure, GCP), relational & non-relational databases (e.g. PostgreSQL, MySQL), data lakes, distributed databases (e.g. Snowflake, Redshift, BigQuery), and more.
- Reports to the Data Engineering Technical Lead
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Data Science, or a related field
- 1+ year of relevant full time experience or equivalent
- Proficiency in Python, Java, or Scala (Python preferred)
- Proficiency in SQL
- Experience with data processing frameworks such as Apache Spark is a plus
- Experience with ETL tools and frameworks (Prefect, Apache Airflow, etc) is a plus
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to present technical concepts to both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- A collaborative mindset, with the ability to work effectively in a team-oriented environment
This role is based in the WHOOP office located in Boston, MA. The successful candidate must be prepared to relocate if necessary to work out of the Boston, MA office.
Interested in the role, but don’t meet every qualification? We encourage you to still apply! At WHOOP, we believe there is much more to a candidate than what is written on paper, and we value character as much as experience. As we continue to build a diverse and inclusive environment, we encourage anyone who is interested in this role to apply.
WHOOP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-verify to determine employment eligibility