Senior Software Engineer (Backend, Main UX)
Software Engineering, Design
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Friday, August 4, 2023
At WHOOP, we're on a mission to unlock human performance. WHOOP empowers users to perform at a higher level through a deeper understanding of their bodies and daily lives. Our wearable device tracks key physiological metrics such as heart rate variability, resting heart rate, and sleep quality to provide personalized insights into users' fitness, health, and recovery.
The Main UX team is responsible for the core of the WHOOP app, the Home Screen. Being the entry point to all of the features WHOOP offers, the Main UX delivers a striking and snappy first impression of the WHOOP product. The Main UX team is also responsible for creating foundational components used across our product, helping deliver a personalized and cohesive experience to our members. As a backend engineer on the Main UX team, you will build and maintain the backend services that power these exciting features as well as enable cross functional departments such as marketing, membership services and other software teams to deliver contextual coaching and messaging to our members.
- Work in a cross functional team that collaborates closely with the design, product, and software engineering teams at WHOOP
- Contribute to back end development using the following technologies: Java, Kafka, Postgres, and other AWS offerings
- Contribute to new feature ideation, planning, and development
- Translate feature requirements into actionable tasks, identify risks, and ship often to mitigate those risks.
- Work on scaling challenges that span multiple systems and demand high availability and stability.
- Experienced with backend development (preferably object oriented) in APIs and with interacting with relational databases (RESTful APIs, Postgres).
- Experience working with asynchronous workers (Kafka, SQS).
- Experience writing tests and documenting code for a variety of audiences.
- An innate passion for approaching large-scale problems through small, data-informed, and experiment-driven iterations.
- You thrive in a fast-paced and data-driven environment.
- You are a team player who thrives on continuous learning and direct feedback.
Find out more about us: "WHOOP Software Principles"
This role is based in the WHOOP office located in Boston, MA. The successful candidate must be prepared to relocate if necessary to work out of the Boston, MA office.
Interested in the role, but don’t meet every qualification? We encourage you to still apply! At WHOOP, we believe there is much more to a candidate than what is written on paper, and we value character as much as experience. As we continue to build a diverse and inclusive environment, we encourage anyone who is interested in this role to apply.
WHOOP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-verify to determine employment eligibility.