Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2023
WHOOP is looking for an Art Director that is equal parts strategic thinker and innovative, that has a deep understanding of how to visually communicate a brand’s essence and vision.
Our ideal candidate will join the internal creative team and be responsible for the development and creation of visual assets that will be used across web, paid media, organic channels, and more. This person will provide artistic direction and vision, and has deep expertise in supporting both a physical product and a digital experience. You likely have experience commissioning and working in photography, a keen visual eye, and a strong sense of style.
- Lead the planning, coordination and execution of photo and video shoots, including building shot lists, storyboarding, talent sourcing, etc.
- Translate our Apparel & Accessories team vision into elevated, brand-relevant photography, including seasonal campaigns, e-commerce support, evergreen visuals, and social-first output
- Focus on upleveling our design output, maintaining our premium visual aesthetic, all while still thinking about best practices per channel
- Experience in post-production, including photography selects, retouching, and more
- Create cohesive visual design systems that are scalable and flexible to increase our efficiency and output
- Concept in partnership with ACD’s and ensure all work is on strategy
- Audit and evaluate our brand assets to ensure they consistently represent WHOOP and maintain our brand standards
- Create guidelines, documentation, and templates for other members of the team to utilize to improve efficiency
- Collaborate with creative, channel managers, product, and other key teams to find the best possible solutions
- Lead, oversee, and mentor a team of designers, providing detailed and action-oriented feedback that elevates the team’s output and upholds our brand standards and guidelines
- Cultivate and manage relationships with external photographers, directors, illustrators, etc as needed. Provide direction with those partners where needed.
- Develop a sharp POV on how we navigate photography, renders, app UI, and lifestyle into a cohesive ecosystem – and work closely with the ACD to implement it
- Concept, ideate, and execute innovative, on-brand creative across ads, organic channels, and more – and test and iterate creative to determine what is most performant
- Balance design decisions with business needs, finding ways to ensure all creative is not just beautifully done, but delivers on our goals
- Be a source of inspiration for the team, shaping team culture by keeping an eye on the competitive landscape, design trends, and best-in-class work
- Influence our brand vision and key areas of investment and evolution
- 5-7+ years design experience within an agency or in-house creative department
- Strong portfolio required. Relevant product and industry examples are desired
- Comfortable with cross functional collaboration
- Experience managing/executing photo & video shoots
- Strong fundamentals in color & typography as well as printed materials
- Expertise in Adobe Suite, Illustrator, and Figma
- Excellent time management skills and precise attention to detail
- Proactive problem solver
- Ability to work independently and excitement to take initiative
This role is based in the WHOOP office located in Boston, MA. The successful candidate must be prepared to relocate if necessary to work out of the Boston, MA office.
Interested in the role, but don’t meet every qualification? We encourage you to still apply! At WHOOP, we believe there is much more to a candidate than what is written on paper, and we value character as much as experience. As we continue to build a diverse and inclusive environment, we encourage anyone who is interested in this role to apply.
WHOOP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-verify to determine employment eligibility.