Software Engineer II (Backend, Sleep & Recovery)
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2023
At WHOOP, we're on a mission to unlock human performance. WHOOP empowers members (Olympians, Professional Athletes, Fitness Enthusiasts, etc) to perform at a higher level through a deeper understanding of their bodies and daily lives.
As a Software Engineer II at WHOOP, you will help us scale out and improve our performance using the latest tools and services on AWS infrastructure. We handle massive amounts of data continuously streaming up to the cloud from everyday people improving their health and wellness to the world's greatest sports teams and athletes mandating a fault-tolerant and highly available system.
As Backend Engineer II on the WHOOP Sleep & Recovery team, you will build features that enable members to optimize their performance through the lens of WHOOP Sleep and Recovery. You will develop features that help members Sleep more effectively and Recover smarter, optimally preparing them for peak performance. You will participate in the technical direction and influence features alongside product management, design, and members of the data science teams.
At WHOOP, you'll collaborate with physiology experts, data scientists, and engineers, providing technical and domain expertise around these systems. You will build high performance backends to empower rich mobile experiences that members love to use. You'll identify opportunities to scale, improve, or reimagine complex architecture to keep pace with WHOOP's explosive member growth. Your solutions will serve as the foundation for the physiological product features that help our members unlock human performance.
- Communicate effectively with immediate and external team members
- Collaborate with product, software, design, and data science teams.
- Contribute to backend development using the following technologies: Java, Kafka, Postgres, Cassandra, AWS.
- Lead tactical planning and execution for building mobile app backends and feature infrastructure
- Be receptive to feedback from others
- Build testable, predictable, comprehensible systems, following and introducing best practices around testing, monitoring, alerting, and debugging
- Previous professional software development experience
- Experience with distributed server-side development and associated patterns
- Experience developing and interacting with RESTful APIs
- Experience designing APIs for mobile or web applications
- Energized about collaborating with a team and owning a core piece of the product experience
Find out more about us: "WHOOP Software Principles"
This role is based in the WHOOP office located in Boston, MA. The successful candidate must be prepared to relocate if necessary to work out of the Boston, MA office.
Interested in the role, but don’t meet every qualification? We encourage you to still apply! At WHOOP, we believe there is much more to a candidate than what is written on paper, and we value character as much as experience. As we continue to build a diverse and inclusive environment, we encourage anyone who is interested in this role to apply.
WHOOP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-verify to determine employment eligibility
See more open positions at WHOOP
Something looks off?