Principal R&D Sustaining Engineer
Olympus Medical Systems
Working Location: MASSACHUSETTS, WESTBOROUGH
Workplace Flexibility: Hybrid
Are you looking for a company that cares about people’s lives and health, including yours? Let’s inspire healthier lives, together.
Olympus, a leading medical technology company, has focused on making people’s lives better for over 100 years.
Our Purpose is to make people’s lives healthier, safer, and more fulfilling.
Our Core Values are reflected in all we do: Integrity – Empathy – Agility – Unity – Long-Term View
We deliver on our purpose and our core values by staying True to Life.
The Principal Engineer is responsible for performing and/or leading all aspects of Sustaining including technical planning, feasibility studies, device development, investigations and corrective actions, cost reductions, verification, and validation activities. The primary responsibility of the position is the technical maintenance of the Design History File and Technical Files post launch. He or she must fully understand medical device design control requirements and be able to effectively manage a project and work effectively in a cross functional team. May serve as a core or extended team member on projects. Maintains detailed documentation throughout all phases of research and development.
May provide leadership and direction to Engineering Technicians and mentor less experienced engineers within and across OSTA sites in best practices for the use of engineering tools and methods.
- Provides technical leadership on Sustaining projects and/or development efforts.
- Accountable for all aspects of product development activities and product Design History File, such as; requirements creation/documentation, ideation / prototyping, design / development, technical risk mitigation, verification testing and reports, design validation studies, risk management documentation, design reviews, and supports the compilation of documents to enable regulatory submissions.
- Develops engineering solutions, investigates competing technologies, and collaborates with Olympus Patent Attorneys to secure a strong IP portfolio
- Directs or performs design analysis, such as tolerance stack-ups, strength of materials, risk analysis, and statistical evaluations.
- Ensures product designs are cost effective, manufacturable, and products are tested through well thought out verification plans to ensure a high degree of product quality and reliability.
- Consults with the Sales, Marketing, and clinicians to define and specify product user requirements.
- Manages, directs and supports suppliers involved in product development and ongoing production. This includes outside design and/or development/manufacturing partners.
- Helps prepare and acts as a consultant to marketing on technical brochures, training programs, and technical presentations to customers and the sales force
- Drives Design History File remediation efforts and CAPA projects as needed.
- Supports engineering leadership as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biomedical, Mechanical Engineering or similar
- Minimum years of related experience: 9 years with BS, 8 years with MS, 5 with PhD
- Previous experience in design, development, and sustaining of Medical Devices.
- Must have extensive working knowledge of, and experience in applying / developing products in compliance with FDA and international requirements, including 820-CFR, ISO14971, IEC60601, GMP and other standards as they relate to the design and manufacture of medical devices.
- Proficient in Microsoft Windows Office applications including MS Outlook, MS Powerpoint, MS Project, Visio, etc..
- Solidworks working knowledge. Proficient in the creation and critical review of engineering drawings including geometric dimensioning and tolerancing and tolerance analysis.
- Knowledge of common manufacturing methodologies, technologies, and materials, such as; injection molded part design, common materials employed in medical devices, and other manufacturing processes.
- Experience in the practical application of statistics and working knowledge of a statistical analysis package (Stat Ease, Minitab are preferred).
- Must be able to collaborate effectively with others, work well within cross-functional teams and across multiple sites, as applicable.
- Must be able to manages resources and drives for results.
- Must be able to communicate effectively at all levels, both verbally and in writing. Strong presentation skills and the ability influence.
- Inspires and motivates others and provides work direction.
- Must be able to solve complex and/or ambiguous problems using good judgement as well as logical and systematic thinking. Capable of providing problem solving guidance to other engineers.
- Must be able to use good judgement in making timely decisions. Able to balance risk vs. benefits in a variety of situations.
Why join Olympus?
Here, people matter—our health, our happiness, and our lives.
- Competitive salaries, annual bonus and 401(k)* with company match
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, Visions coverage effective on start date
- 24/7 Employee Assistance Program
- Free virtual live and on-demand wellness classes
- Work-life balance supportive culture with hybrid and remote roles
- 12 Paid Holidays
- Educational Assistance
- Parental Leave and Adoption Assistance
- Volunteering and charitable donation match programs
- Diversity & Inclusion Programs including Colleague Affinity Networks
- On-Site Child Daycare, Café, Fitness Center**
We care about your health and financial well-being and offer the resources you need to feel vital, confident and ready for wherever life takes you. Learn more about our benefit offerings at https://www.olympusamerica.com/careers/benefits-perks.
The anticipated base pay range for this full-time position working at this location is $115,026.00 - $161,036.00 / year, plus potential for annual bonus (subject to plan eligibility and other requirements). Olympus considers a variety of factors when determining actual compensation for this position including: level of experience, working location, and relevant education and certifications.
Our Medical business uses innovative capabilities in medical technology, therapeutic intervention, and precision manufacturing to help healthcare professionals deliver diagnostic, therapeutic, and minimally invasive procedures to improve clinical outcomes, reduce costs, and enhance the quality of life for patients and their safety.
Headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, Olympus employs more than 31,000 employees worldwide in nearly 40 countries and regions. Olympus Corporation of the Americas, a wholly owned subsidiary of Olympus Corporation, is headquartered in Center Valley, Pennsylvania, USA, and employs more than 5,200 employees throughout locations in North and South America. For more information, visit www.olympusamerica.com.
Olympus is dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace
We recognize diversity in people, views and lifestyle choices and emphasize the importance of inclusion and mutual respect. We strive to continue to foster empathy and unity in the workplace so that our employees can fully contribute and thrive.
Let’s realize your potential, together.
It is the policy of Olympus to extend equal employment and advancement opportunity to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, national origin (including language use restrictions), citizenship status, religious creed (including dress and grooming practices), age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth and/or breastfeeding), gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, marital status, disability (physical or mental) and/or a medical condition, genetic information, ancestry, veteran status or service in the uniformed services, and any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Posting Notes: || United States (US) || Massachusetts (US-MA) || Westborough || Research and Development