Director, Data Science & Machine Learning
McKesson is an impact-driven, Fortune 10 company that touches virtually every aspect of healthcare. We are known for delivering insights, products, and services that make quality care more accessible and affordable. Here, we focus on the health, happiness, and well-being of you and those we serve – we care. What you do at McKesson matters. We foster a culture where you can grow, make an impact, and are empowered to bring new ideas. Together, we thrive as we shape the future of health for patients, our communities, and our people. If you want to be part of tomorrow’s health today, we want to hear from you.
The Director of Data Science and Machine Learning (ML) directs and executes Ontada’s technology roadmaps in ML and Natural Language Processing (NLP) Data Platform roadmap through close collaboration with Ontada commercial, chart abstraction and engineering teams. He/she follows the agile development methodology to rapidly iterate prototypes and scales them to platform re-usable capabilities in order to accelerate data product and insight delivery to health care and life science customers, while maintaining sustainable growth. Thought leadership in ML/NLP and excellent communication skills with the ability to resolve competing priorities are required for this position.
Data Science and ML Leadership:
- Develop a comprehensive strategy of Data Science taking into account Ontada’s overall vision, the evolving health IT and data ecosystem, and productive application in AI
- Present and communicate the ML/NLP strategy and project to all stakeholders in Ontada and McKesson leaderships, as well as customers and prospects
- Direct full life cycle ML/NLP solutions, from planning, designing, technical implementation, troubleshooting, deployment, validation, and maintenance
- Be accountable to the data science backlog and constantly evolve it based on the latest changes in the business
- Manage conflicting priorities across different stakeholders
- Perform code reviews to guarantee high quality products
- Oversee technology implementation to automate data processes and inferences
- Direct annotation workflow and abstractor training process development
- Orchestrate across a multi-disciplinary team to create a unified strategy that drives business value
- Develop trust partnership with stakeholders through transparency and incremental delivery of value
- Manage third-party vendors
- Evaluate innovative technologies and tools prior to wider business adoption
- Accountable for value prioritization for your team
- Constantly measure the success of your team’s projects and the products to ensure the team is on the right track to deliver value to Ontada business
- Able to draw out the best ideas from teams and individuals
- Build incredible teams and an operation that deliver data science product solutions in a timely and efficient manner
- A visible and active leader within the data science area that provides mentorship, feedback, coaching, and advice, also builds community around capability development initiatives
Typical Minimum Requirements:
- 12+ years of experience in advanced analytics, machine learning, and natural language processing
- 4+ years of people management experience
- Experience in mining Claims and EHR (Electronic Health Records) data, preferably oncology related data
- Experience managing full lifecycle, from research to production, of machine learning data products
- Experience in Optical Character Recognition (OCR) and NLP for unstructured data analysis
- Knowledge in Large Langue Model (LLM) and Retrieval Augmented Generation (RAG)
- Knowledge of data curation and analysis packages (e.g., NumPy, Keras, PyTorch, Pandas, scikit-learn)
- Knowledge of NLP libraries, ontology-based and deep learning-based libraries, (i.e., Huggingface, SpaCy, NLTK, cTAKES, MetaMap, or John Snow Labs)
- Experience with modern cloud technologies in AWS and Azure
- Experience with ML workflow orchestration tools (e.g., Airflow, MLflow)
- Experience with Github, JIRA and Confluence
- Solves problems in unique ways by drawing from background and experience working in an array of contexts
- Experience in working in root cause identification and analysis
- Experience with healthcare data, real-world data, or clinical data
- Experience in team culture building with growth mindset
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working in the life sciences or the bio/chemical research field
- Experience in oncology data and clinical workflow
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial mindset and self-direction, ability to teach others and willingness to learn new techniques
- Willingness to jump into projects and complex environments to make sense of ambiguous details in multiple domains
- MS or PhD in data science or related field
At McKesson, we care about the well-being of the patients and communities we serve, and that starts with caring for our people. That’s why we have a Total Rewards package that includes comprehensive benefits to support physical, mental, and financial well-being. Our Total Rewards offerings serve the different needs of our diverse employee population and ensure they are the healthiest versions of themselves. For more information regarding benefits at McKesson, please click here.
As part of Total Rewards, we are proud to offer a competitive compensation package at McKesson. This is determined by several factors, including performance, experience and skills, equity, regular job market evaluations, and geographical markets. In addition to base pay, other compensation, such as an annual bonus or long-term incentive opportunities may be offered.
Our Base Pay Range for this position$164,800 - $274,600
McKesson is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.Qualified applicants will not be disqualified from consideration for employment based upon criminal history.
McKesson is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including job seekers with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, please contact us by sending an email to Disability_Accommodation@McKesson.com. Resumes or CVs submitted to this email box will not be accepted.
Current employees must apply through the internal career site.
Join us at McKesson!