Engineering Program Manager
We are the engine behind the world’s most important applications.
As InterSystems continues to grow, we’re scaling how we design and execute everything from our flagship IRIS database platform, our healthcare products, our cloud SaaS offerings, all the way to the internal systems and workflows of our Software Development Life Cycle… and we’d love to meet you.
Engineering Program Managers are a unique part of the Engineering team within Development. They are broadly experienced engineers who now serve at the program level: guiding the design, implementation, and support of our software and efforts. They lead engineering programs that may include our products and the organizational systems we build around them.
From their cross-functional and cross-product perspective, our Engineering Program Managers have a large impact, being able to identify and resolve organization-level issues. In addition to working with different functional leads, our EPMs leverage our engineering system’s workflows and deliverables while also improving it as we grow together.
As an Engineering Program Manager:
- Cross-functionally lead at the program-level. Our EPM’s are the cross-functional individuals. They understand what is needed to get from point A to point B and make it happen. This includes complex software features, customer responses, infrastructure buildout, etc.
- Be curious and pragmatic. Ideas with undefined scope are a dime a dozen. Successful implementation and execution will have tradeoffs that we need to discover and address.
- Apply your engineering background. The overall engineering process is more than a checklist. Steer us towards exceptional design and execution.
- Learn and understand our organization and products so that you can make meaningful contributions.
- Be the cross-functional generalist. Apply different skills relating to the functional groups such as Development, Quality, Product Management, Release, Learning, Support, Tech Services, etc.
- Understand and drive our Software Development Life Cycle, end-to-end. From Definition all the way through Development, Release, and Maintenance, our EPM’s are the authority. Make sure that things are running smoothly. Engage when they are not.
- Directly support Needs Analysis. Help make sure that we truly capture what’s needed by our business and customers. Question and recommend.
- Directly support Requirements Definition. Help create and refine our architecture by ensuring good and consistent requirements, with the right coverage. Question and recommend.
- Own Risk Management. Work together with functional leads to determine and mitigate risks in our design and implementation.
- Understand urgency vs importance. Now vs later.
- Report to organization leadership. You have the unified view.
- 8+ years of relevant experience, which can include being a developer. We are particularly in a system software background regardless of the domain.
- B.S. in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or any engineering degree while able to demonstrate the key fundamentals of engineering and software system design
- Strong record of orienting cross-functional teams toward unified outcomes
- Strong record of taking initiative when necessary
- Solid understanding of:
- Stakeholder Needs Analysis and/or ‘Design Thinking’
- Requirements Engineering and/or ‘Systems Thinking’
- Verification and Validation
- Excellent technical written and verbal communication
- Many lessons learned
- M.S. in Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or other applicable degree
- Understanding of different design methodologies
- Experience with Jama Connect requirements software or any other, such as Cameo
- Background of dealing with the different ‘illities’
- Familiarity with Model Based Systems Engineering
- Experience working in a regulated industry.
We are an equal-opportunity employer and do not discriminate because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, age, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity or expression or any other legally protected category. InterSystems is an E-Verify Employer in the United States.
Established in 1978, InterSystems provides innovative data solutions for organizations with critical information needs in the healthcare, finance, and logistics sectors and beyond. Our cloud-first data platforms solve interoperability, speed, and scalability problems for organizations around the globe. InterSystems also develops and supports data management in hospitals through the world’s most proven electronic medical record, as well as unified care records for health systems and governments through a powerful suite of healthcare data integration solutions. The company is committed to excellence through its award-winning, 24×7 support for customers and partners in more than 80 countries. Privately held and headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, InterSystems has 25 offices worldwide. For more information, please visit InterSystems.com.