Principal Engineer, Power Systems Strategy
Job Description Summary
GE Energy Consulting (GE EC), a part of GE Vernova, has offices in multiple countries and offers our global clients (external & internal GE) a wide range of solutions across the entire spectrum of power generation, delivery, and utilization.
GE EC’s Power Economics practice offers analyses focused on the understanding and the study of the financial and physical operation of the electric power systems including generation and grid planning, system optimization, asset valuation, competitive power markets and energy policy implications.
GE EC’s Power Systems Strategy team utilizes their deep knowledge in focus areas such as connected power grid (transmission and distribution) planning, reliability analysis, and grid-edge” technologies to offer customized solutions to our clients.
As a Principal on the GE Energy Consulting team, a successful candidate will lead consulting and advisory services across the electric power industry and support other GE business initiatives related to power systems equipment and services. Additionally, a Principal will lead business development and strategic business initiatives related to their specialty focus.
This Principal position centers on GE Energy Consulting’s DER and Microgrid focus and related business engagements and software.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Lead Power Economics consulting engagements, business development, and project teams supporting both internal and external clients.
- Identify and cultivate new customers and business opportunities.
- Participate in and represent GE EC’s capabilities and interests in internal cross-business dialogues working to grow and shape GE’s microgrid/DER business development pipeline.
- Make customer/industry stakeholder presentations.
- Work with Managing Director(s) and Team Managers to develop business strategy to expand consulting in key focus areas, such as reliability, decarbonization, and/or transmission/distribution spaces.
- Effectively communicate results to both internal and external customers by preparing written detailed and summary reports and presentations.
- Proactively seek out new opportunities and study work by responding to Requests for Proposals from grid operators, utilities, developers, and other industry participants.
- Support GE businesses and customers in the areas of contractual service agreement, transactional services, new unit sales, new product initiatives, and challenges to the utility business model, and decarbonization.
- Actively participate in Industry forums to promote GE, Energy Consulting and GE technology.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Economics, or Business Administration from an accredited university or college.
- Minimum of 8 years of total experience in one or more of the following areas: electric power systems engineering, energy market design and operations, generation / transmission planning or operations, wholesale power trading, and energy market consulting.
- Demonstrated experience/understanding of the distribution space within larger industry, notably on DER and/or microgrid development, engineering and design, or related.
- Master’s Degree / PhD in engineering, business administration, economics or computer science from an accredited university or college.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience with various DER/microgrid software (Homer Suite – Homer Pro and Homer Grid, DER-CAM, GridMarket, XENDEE), or other related software (CYME, PSCAD, MatLab).
- Experience in power system simulation tools (PSLF, PSS/E), production cost models (i.e., MAPS, PLEXOS, GridView, PROMOD), reliability models (MARS), or other relevant a plus.
- Industry reputation, published articles and presentations in industry forums (IEEE, CIGRE, etc.)
- Participation in industry standards working groups.
- Programming experience (i.e., Python, MATLAB, etc.) a plus.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office software, such as Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills to present findings of analytical studies to a wide range of industry stakeholders.
- Strong technical writing skills for proposals and study reports.
The salary range for this position is 104,100.00 - 138,800.00 - 173,500.00 USD Annual. The specific salary offered to a candidate may be influenced by a variety of factors including the candidate’s experience, their education, and the work location. In addition, this position is eligible for a 15% performance bonus. Available benefits include medical, dental, vision, 401K, Permissive Time Off, Paid Parental Leave, Tuition Assistance and Adoption Assistance.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).
Relocation Assistance Provided: No