Protection & Control Field Service Engineer
Job Description SummaryThe P&C Field Service Engineer/Technician will be responsible for performing a wide variety of field related activities, including installation, testing, commissioning, etc. of Protection & Control systems in medium and HV environment. In this role, you will establish and maintain a strong working relationship with customers and be responsible for ensuring safe work practices on each job as GE values safety very highly.
Grid Solutions, a GE Renewable Energy business, serves customers globally with over 12,000 employees. We provide power utilities and industries worldwide with equipment, systems, and services to bring power reliably and efficiently from the point of generation to end power consumers. We are focused on addressing the challenges of the energy transition by enabling the safe and reliable connection of renewable and distributed energy resources to the grid. For more about GE’s Grid Solutions, visit https://www.gegridsolutions.com.
Roles and Responsibilities:
As the P&C Field Service Engineer/Technician, you will:
- Able to lead a team of field service engineers during the installation, commissioning, testing and maintenance of protective relaying equipment, distribution automation systems and associated communication equipment
- Ability to work independently on smaller projects to install, wire, test, and the commissioning of protective, metering and monitoring of electrical power systems.
- Identify, troubleshoot, and resolve issues, as related to the operation of electrical protection systems applied to motors, feeders, transformers, busses, and generator systems, as well as transmission lines.
- Perform function testing of substation control circuits on relay panel.
- Lead or perform the end-to-end relay testing using Megger PowerDB, Doble ProTesT and other software’s to verify relay’s performance and protection and control communication systems.
- Manage related projects onsite and effectively interface and own the relationship with customers and their vendors.
- Maintain project’s filing systems and effectively transmit all documentation and reports to the end user/customer.
- Make safety a priority as per GE’s zero tolerance policy and adopt safety regulations at customer sites
- Associate degree in Electrical Engineering Technology, Bachelor in Electrical Engineering or related field from an accredited university or college or High School Diploma and or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 2-year experience in the protection and control of electrical power systems, including the testing of protective relays and metering at remote industrial and utility substations
- Minimum of 2-year experience working at industrial sites, local and remote
- Able to safely carry up to 50 lbs. of tools and testing equipment, climb stairs, and to work under typical industrial power control rooms and electrical substations
- Ability and willingness to work long hours and weekends, as required
- Ability and willingness to work at customer locations and travel 60-80% of the time, as required
- Ability and willingness to obtain / maintain a valid US or Canadian passport
- Ability and willingness to possess / maintain a valid driver's license
- Experience on the power system theory of operation, such as, settings knowledge for the protection of motors, feeders, transformers, buses, generators, and transmission lines
- Knowledge on short circuit and coordination studies, as well as Arc Flash phenomena.
- Able to pass substance abuse testing in a regular basis, and to periodically take safety trainings and exams as required by customers
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering Technology, Electrical Engineering or related field from an accredited university or college
- Extensive understanding of one-line, three-line schematics and connection diagrams
- Knowledge of relays (GE, ABB, SEL, Siemens, etc. manufactured)
- Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) mindset / compliance
- Initiative-taking and confident with the ability to work efficiently / effectively with limited supervision and provide technical guidance to others.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).
Relocation Assistance Provided: No