Lead Engineer Compliance
Job Description SummaryThe main responsibility of the Lead Engineer Compliance (further to referred as Compliance Engineer) is to ensure that GE´s Offshore Wind Turbine products complies with all applicable (global, regional, and country specific) regulations for the baseline product platform as well as all variants and customizations as supplied to global customers. This is achieved by providing regulatory compliance engineering leadership and -expertise in the whole product lifecycle from New Product Introduction (NPI) up to Order to Remittance (OTR) and participates in the cross-functional PCMT (Product Compliance Management Team).
The Compliance Engineer collaborates closely with the multi-disciplinary engineering teams as well as Sourcing Quality, Project Management Office, and Application- and Requisition engineering teams.
Externally to GE, the compliance engineer leads compliance related activities with 3rd parties, including technical regulatory bodies of relevant countries to perform a.o:
- Country regulatory compliance research to continuously update GE´s internal compliance specifications,
- 3rd party product compliance assessments
The role of Compliance Engineer is part of the Regulatory Compliance and Resource Management team within the Offshore Wind Engineering organization and includes colleagues that are responsible for Certification and Product Safety Engineering.
GE Renewable Energy is one of the world's leading offshore wind energy companies, with a portfolio of offshore wind turbines ranging from 6 MW to 14 MW that offer increased value to customers with proven performance, reliability, efficiency and availability.
We have invested more than $400 million to develop the Haliade-X, an investment that will also drive down offshore wind farms’ levelized cost of energy, helping make offshore wind energy more competitive for our customers. The Haliade-X was the industry’s first 14MW offshore wind turbine to operate, and is the only 12+MW offshore wind turbine platform that has been operating for over two years, specifically at its Rotterdam prototype site.
Roles and Responsibilities
In the role of Compliance Engineer, you will:
- Plan, define and manage engineering compliance activities for offshore wind turbines, functionally reporting to Program managers in NPI- and Customer Support Engineering
- Assess and select 3rd parties to perform countries regulatory research
- Work with technical regulatory bodies and participate in working groups related to country technical compliance.
- Assess (read and interpret) country regulations and (preliminary) impact on offshore wind turbines
- Perform regular updates on the regulatory research and document in internal database
- Support the design team in the application of compliance requirements
- Collaborate with design engineers from across multiple disciplines to jointly assess compliance requirements and perform compliance assessments of new and existing designs
- Manage and document internal assessment of product compliance against country regulations (E.g., CE Declaration of Conformity, DoC)
- Collect, review, and manage product compliance documentation
- Define and maintain compliance design practices
- Maintain KPI´s of Engineering compliance activities (e.g., On-Time delivery, Supplier DoC collection progress, etc.)
- Develop Compliance training for the Engineering community and ensure regular training rhythm.
- Assist in Interfacing with Sales Team to support Customer TDD´s / Design reviews and customer queries related to regulatory compliance
- Interface with international teams of engineers from all Wind departments across multiple disciplines
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical, Chemical, Electrical, Safety, Environmental, or Industrial Engineering
- Strong experience in an engineering regulatory compliance engineering role related to complex engineering products within large organizations.
- Proven knowledge of compliance to a.o. EC Machinery directive, UKCA, USA / UL compliance or other country specific regulations, preferably in the Asia region.
- Leadership skills to motivate teams to work to a common goal and timeline
- Good communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills, including ability to work across cultural boundaries in a global team
- Team player and ability to self-direct
- Advanced level of Technical-Business English, both verbally and in writing.
- Diligent record keeping, acute attention to detail (regulatory reading, engineering mindset, creation / maintenance of records)
- Experience in managing third parties and working with technical regulatory bodies
- Organizational and documentation skills (keep track of multiple issue statuses and remaining actions to drive to closure)
- Comfortable working in a matrix structure having hierarchical & functional manager
- PC proficiency (Microsoft Office)
- Master of Science degree in Mechanical, Chemical, Electrical, Safety, Environmental, or Industrial Engineering
- In-depth country-specific Regulations and standards knowledge
- Working knowledge of Wind Turbine Mechanical and Electrical Systems; experience in a similar role in the Wind Industry
- Knowledge of GE Renewables organization and equipment designs
- Demonstrated design creativity
- Experience with LEAN principles and -methodologies
- Proven influencing skills
- Strong technical aptitude, including project management and applicable engineering tools and systems
Job available in:
- Barcelona (Spain)
- Nantes (France)
- Hamburg (Germany)
Relocation Assistance Provided: No