Principal Engineer - Piping & Supports (Remote Eligible, U.S.)
Job Description SummaryThe Principal Engineer for Piping & Supports will work within the Piping Analysis team of GE Hitachi. The Piping Analysis team is responsible for performing analysis of nuclear safety related piping and piping supports in order to show code and regulatory compliance. The group services both New Plants Projects and the existing GEH BWR fleet. The Piping Analysis team has strong interfaces with the Systems Design, Civil Structural Design, Reactor Design, and Integrated Plants Design teams. The Principal Engineer for Piping & Supports will act as the technical expert that will define, categorize, plan and execute resolution of advanced technical issues.
The Principal Engineer is an industry recognized expert and will work within the Piping Analysis team to define and maintain standardized rules and processes for the analysis of piping and pipe supports which efficiently meet all applicable standards and regulations to support the global deployment of new plant designs as well as the operating fleet.
In addition, you will be requested to:
- Utilize knowledge and experience to solve and deliver outcomes to customers
- Work cooperatively throughout GEH to develop approaches for solving technical issues. Communicate potential solutions and work status effectively to the organization.
- Provide leadership and technical direction to personnel and projects.
- Support procurement and subcontract activities associated with new plant projects.
- Represent GEH at industry forums such as ASME meetings and BWROG conferences
- Maintain and develop technical design procedures associated with piping and pipe support analysis activities.
- Procure, maintain, and facilitate the use of analysis software
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Structural Engineering (Other Engineering Disciplines may be acceptable based on work experience)
- Minimum 10 years of experience in nuclear piping and/or pipe supports design and analysis
- Experience with new nuclear plant design and construction
- Experience proposing and defending designs and methods associated with nuclear piping analysis to regulators like the NRC or CSA
- Registered Professional Engineer
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job.
- Willingness and ability to travel as required
- Option for full time remote or relocation to Wilmington, NC office.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
Additional Desired Characteristics
- Working knowledge and experience with ASME Section III analysis including subsections NB, NC, ND and NF
- ASME Section III Class 1 Fatigue design experience
- Experience with performing High Energy Line Break Analysis
- Experience with Leak Before Break Application
- Experience with piping and pipe support analysis software like PIPESTRESS, AutoPIPE, Caesar, GTSTRUDL
- Strong communication skills and capable of articulating specific technical topics or assignments
- Strong problem solving abilities
- Strong analytical and process skills
- Strong data analyst capabilities and ability to create small automation scripts to streamline analyses
- Ability to work effectively within a highly collaborative environment
- A self-starter willing to take initiative
The salary range for this position is $124K – 208K USD Annual. The specific salary offered to a candidate may be influenced by a variety of factors including the candidate’s experience, their education, and the work location. In addition, this position is eligible for variable incentive compensation.
Available health and welfare benefits include healthcare, prescription drug, dental, and vision coverage; savings account options (such as a Health Care Flexible Savings Account, Health Reimbursement Account, Limited Purpose Flexible Spending Account, and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account); and an employee assistance program. Additional benefits include a defined contribution 401(k) plan, employee life insurance, optional dependent life insurance, employee accidental death or dismemberment insurance coverage, salary continuance program benefits for disability, optional long-term disability, pre-tax transportation/commuter program, paid holidays, paid time off, parental leave, a layoff plan for salaried employees, tuition reimbursement program, use of Cariloop, adoption assistance, optional identity theft prevention insurance, optional personal legal assistance, and optional personal excess liability insurance.
This role is restricted to U.S. persons (i.e., U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and other protected individuals under the Immigration and Naturalization Act, 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)) due to access to export-controlled technology. GE will require proof of status prior to employment.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).
Relocation Assistance Provided: Yes