Part - Time Switchboard Operator 1 - Worcester, MA - 2196189
Optum is a global organization that delivers care, aided by technology to help millions of people live healthier lives. The work you do with our team will directly improve health outcomes by connecting people with the care, pharmacy benefits, data and resources they need to feel their best. Here, you will find a culture guided by diversity and inclusion, talented peers, comprehensive benefits and career development opportunities. Come make an impact on the communities we serve as you help us advance health equity on a global scale. Join us to start Caring. Connecting. Growing together.
This is an onsite, part – time position. Employees are required to work between the hours of 8:00am – 4:00pm, Saturdays and Sundays. Employees will also be provided holiday coverage, 4 holidays per year. It may be necessary, given the business need, to work occasional overtime or weekends. The office is a 24-hour, 7 days per week operation. Our office is located at 666 Lincoln Street, Worcester, Massachusetts 01605.
We offer weeks of paid training. The hours of the training will be based on schedule or will be discussed on your first day of employment.
- Receives, screens and directs external and internal calls.
- Assists patients with general information including meetings, directions, classes, hours of operations, etc.
- Maintains the departmental standard calls per hour during non-messaging times. Maintains the departmental standard calls per hour during off business hours.
- Receives and screens external and internal calls; answers incoming emergency and nonemergency calls for medical service.
- Directs/dispatches calls to appropriate area or contact, or documents and processes message.
- AO108 Switchboard Operator I utilizes all switchboard functionality including transfer, conference, serial call, hold, join, camp, page as well as all screen functionality and navigation.
- Handles emergency calls with assistance.
- Uses effective, active listening skills to determine patient needs.
- Manages patient expectations in a satisfactory and consistent manner.
- Uses conflict resolution and negotiation steps for handling difficult callers.
- Documents conflicts and issues to facilitate fact gathering, root cause analysis and actions for resolution.
- Receives external and internal calls during hours the organization is closed; answers incoming emergency and non-emergency calls for medical service; documents and processes message, dispatches call to appropriate area or contact.
- Logs every message or incident; documents required data; provides patient next steps and sets expectation for follow-up.
- Determines appropriate coverage, such as on call, next day, urgent care, triage, etc.
- Handles calls based on experience, training, policies and procedures.
- Dispatches or directs calls to appropriate contact based on experience, training, policies and procedures.
- Operates departmental software. Calls are directed properly throughout the system.
- Logs messages appropriately.
- Places phone calls and takes message accurately.
- Reads and signs the departmental communications book.
- Assists patients with general information: meetings, directions, classes, hours of operations, etc.
- Gains knowledge of organization information, programs, and classes.
- Maintains the departmental standard calls per hour during non-messaging times.
- Maintains the departmental standard calls per hour during off business hours.
- Complies with health and safety requirements and with regulatory agencies such as DPH, etc.
- Complies with established departmental policies, procedures, and objectives.
- Enhances professional growth and development through educational programs, seminars, etc.
- Attends a variety of meetings, conferences, and seminars as required or directed.
- Performs other similar and related duties as required or directed.
- Reliable and predicable attendance is required.
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School Diploma / GED (or higher) OR equivalent work experience
- 6+ months of Customer Service experience
- Ability to type twenty-five words per minute
- Reside within commutable distance to the office – 666 Lincoln Street, Worcester, Massachusetts 01605
- Ability to work on-site, part – time shift between the hours of 8:00am – 4:00pm on Saturdays and Sundays including the flexibility to work occasional overtime, weekends, and holiday coverage (4 holidays per year) based on business need (office operation is a 24-hour, 7 days per week)
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Knowledge of various software applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.
- Switchboard/Call Center Customer Service experience
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location, and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups, and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug – free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.