Associate Patient Service Specialist - Milford, MA - 2180565
Optum is a global organization that delivers care, aided by technology to help millions of people live healthier lives. The work you do with our team will directly improve health outcomes by connecting people with the care, pharmacy benefits, data and resources they need to feel their best. Here, you will find a culture guided by diversity and inclusion, talented peers, comprehensive benefits and career development opportunities. Come make an impact on the communities we serve as you help us advance health equity on a global scale. Join us to start Caring. Connecting. Growing together.
Performs a full range of administrative support services for clinic/site including collection of co-payments, scheduling of patients for medical procedures, tests, associated ancillary services, and other related duties. Answers telephone calls for the department in the assigned department queue. Works with supervisor and other staff to meet metric expectations for phone service. Works to resolve patient complaints, provides education on processes and department scheduling procedures to ensure the highest level of patient/customer satisfaction.
This position is full-time (40 hours/week) Monday – Friday. Employees are required to have flexibility to work any of our 8-hour shift schedules during our normal business hours of 8:30am – 5pm. It may be necessary, given the business need, to work occasional overtime. Our office is located at 101 Cedar Street, Milford, MA
We offer 4 weeks of 1:1 mentor training. Assigned to an onboard advisor – normal business hours.
- Verifies and updates demographics and other patient information including necessary consent and other documents.
- Schedules patients accurately, according to department protocols and provider preference.
- Completes patient check-out, coordinates scheduling, and other services as directed. Manages and updates the Department Appointment Report.
- Provides education, estimate preparation, and other pre-appointment instruction as needed.
- Receives and addresses patient-care-related telephone calls. Provides routine information on procedures and standard policies, and refers matters to the appropriate person within the department/site.
- Resolves patients’ questions regarding clinic schedules and billing concerns; handles requests for prescription refills, reschedules appointments, etc.
- Accurately and appropriately documents information in the electronic medical record system.
- Receives and processes incoming and outgoing insurance referral requests based on department protocol. Collaborates with staff, patients, and providers as needed to complete requests. Completes follow-up and documentation as needed.
- Understands basic insurance concepts such as capitated patients, co-payment, co-insurance, and identifying scheduling procedures impacted by insurance like prior authorization and referral coordination. Able to educate patients on these concepts and set appropriate timeline expectations.
- Processes personal in-basket and department pool encounters in Epic in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Processes department and provider mail and faxes in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Able to identify when patient-related issues need urgent attention and escalate to nursing or provider and/or leadership as needed.
- Complies with health and safety requirements and with regulatory agencies such as DPH, etc.
- Complies with established departmental policies, procedures, and objectives.
- Participates in learning opportunities provided through the learning management system.
- Participates in departmental meetings and huddles as directed by department leadership.
- Regular, reliable, and predictable attendance is required.
- Performs other similar and related duties as required or directed
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School Diploma / GED (or higher)
- 1+ years of customer service experience
- Ability to work onsite at 101 Cedar Street, Milford, Massachusetts
- Basic computer literacy and minimal typing experience is required.
- Understanding in basic insurance concepts such as capitated patients, co-payment, co-insurance, and identifying scheduling procedures impacted by insurance like prior authorization and referral coordination. Able to educate patients on these concepts and set appropriate timeline expectations
- Ability to work full-time Monday – Friday. Employees are required to have flexibility to work any of our 8-hour shift schedules during our normal business hours of 8:30am – 5pm. It may be necessary, given the business need, to work occasional overtime.
- 1+ years of experience in a medical office engaging with providers and patients
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- EPIC experience
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location, and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups, and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.