Revenue Accounting Senior Associate
Join us as we work to create a thriving ecosystem that delivers accessible, high-quality, and sustainable healthcare for all.
Revenue Accounting Associate
As an Associate on the Revenue Accounting team, this candidate will assist in executing the processes and controls associated with the accounting for and recording of revenue, deferred revenue, and related direct cost accounts, as well as focus on project-based tasks that arise in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment. Part of this role will consist of assisting in the completion of the month-end close process. In addition, this role will spend some time working with senior members of the Revenue team in order to effectively complete short- and long-term projects as they arise. The position will require an individual who is organized, is an effective problem solver and critical thinker, and is looking to work collaboratively on a team. This candidate will be expected to maintain professional skepticism yet be able to promote positive attitude in a fast-paced environment. This position will report to a manager on the revenue team and will be well supported by other technical peers who enjoy teaching and learning.
- Responsible for performing month-end general ledger close for revenue, revenue related accounts and related cost accounts; including preparing monthly close journal entries.
- Assist in the preparation and analysis of month end balance sheet and P&L accounts associated with revenue and associated direct cost.
- Work with several departments to compile information in order to prepare required analyses, schedules, and documentation for quarterly and annual reporting periods.
- Ability to work and maintain relationship with cross-functional stake holders such as Sales, Operations, A/R, etc
- Perform preparation and / or critical review of account reconciliations on a monthly basis.
- Review of processes to ensure accurate and timely revenue recognition and cost accounts.
- Support some contract review and vendor relationship management.
- Ad hoc projects to be determined as they arise.
- Assist manager to work with internal and external auditors during quarterly reviews and annual audit;
- Maintain current and assisting in creating new or refining existing revenue related internal controls, as needed; and
- Maintain appropriate documentation of effective execution of internal controls.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration
- 2+ years of related work experience
- Proficient in advanced Microsoft Excel (VLOOKUP, index match, pivot tables, etc)
- Positive attitude with desire to take on challenging job opportunities
- Must be able to adapt and be agile to an evolving, rapidly growing company environment
- Self-starter with ability to anticipate and proactively address potential subsequent outcomes from assignments
- Strong attention to detail with ability to see big picture
- Excellent communication skills
- Salesforce and Peoplesoft/Oracle ERP system knowledge [preferred], and willingness to learn other accounting-based systems
Here’s our vision: To create a thriving ecosystem that delivers accessible, high-quality, and sustainable healthcare for all.
What’s unique about our locations?
From an historic, 19th century arsenal to a converted, landmark power plant, all of athenahealth’s offices were carefully chosen to represent our innovative spirit and promote the most positive and productive work environment for our teams. Our 10 offices across the United States and India — plus numerous remote employees — all work to modernize the healthcare experience, together.
Our company culture might be our best feature.
We don't take ourselves too seriously. But our work? That’s another story. athenahealth develops and implements products and services that support US healthcare: It’s our chance to create healthier futures for ourselves, for our family and friends, for everyone.
Our vibrant and talented employees — or athenistas, as we call ourselves — spark the innovation and passion needed to accomplish our goal. We continue to expand our workforce with amazing people who bring diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives at every level, and foster an environment where every athenista feels comfortable bringing their best selves to work.
Our size makes a difference, too: We are small enough that your individual contributions will stand out — but large enough to grow your career with our resources and established business stability.
Giving back is integral to our culture. Our athenaGives platform strives to support food security, expand access to high-quality healthcare for all, and support STEM education to develop providers and technologists who will provide access to high-quality healthcare for all in the future. As part of the evolution of athenahealth’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) program, we’ve selected nonprofit partners that align with our purpose and let us foster long-term partnerships for charitable giving, employee volunteerism, insight sharing, collaboration, and cross-team engagement.
What can we do for you?
Along with health and financial benefits, athenistas enjoy perks specific to each location, including commuter support, employee assistance programs, tuition assistance, employee resource groups, and collaborative workspaces — some offices even welcome dogs.
In addition to our traditional benefits and perks, we sponsor events throughout the year, including book clubs, external speakers, and hackathons. And we provide athenistas with a company culture based on learning, the support of an engaged team, and an inclusive environment where all employees are valued.
We also encourage a better work-life balance for athenistas with our flexibility. While we know in-office collaboration is critical to our vision, we recognize that not all work needs to be done within an office environment, full-time. With consistent communication and digital collaboration tools, athenahealth enables employees to find a balance that feels fulfilling and productive for each individual situation.