Join us as we work to create a thriving ecosystem that delivers accessible, high-quality, and sustainable healthcare for all.
We are looking for a Lead UX Designer to join the athenhealth Care Collaboration (aCC) team. In this role, you’ll work closely with a multi-disciplinary agile R&D team to discover, define, design and deliver product and digital service features in the area of content management and patient relationship management. You will create valuable and delightful experiences for a broad spectrum of athenahealth users, including our internal Care Management Services team.
But enough about us, let’s talk about you.
You are passionate about design that’s informed by user-centered research. You love digging into meaty, complex problems while finding ways to drive incremental improvements towards a long-term vision. You look forward to collaborating, not only with other designers on the team, but with your teammates in product and engineering. You bring curiosity, empathy, and an open mind to everything you do. If you want to be a champion for the healthcare teams that use our product, and you’re interested in driving a forward-leaning approach to healthcare, we’d love you to join the team.
The Team: The aCC subdivision is on the leading edge of a revolution in healthcare delivery. The UX team, working closely with product, engineering and our direct-to-patient Care Management Services partners is driving new experiences in the complex healthcare delivery ecosystem.
- User research to continue initial and ongoing discovery efforts specifically around content management and patient relationship management
- Defining and modeling that turns research into actionable concepts, specifically for key personas integral to care management administration
- Detailed designs that deliver on the discovery and definition work
- Coordinating design delivery with engineering and product to iterate and adjust based on user feedback
- Collaborating with the subdivision’s Principal UX Discovery Lead to integrate UX work into the subdivision’s overall product strategy
- A Bachelor’s in design with six years of experience in a design role, or a Master’s in design with four years of experience in a design role or eight years practical experience in design, design research, or allied field
- Demonstrated experience in user-centered research (qualitative and/or quantitative)
- Demonstrated conceptual design, including modeling
- Demonstrated excellence in interaction design
- Strong stakeholder management and communication skills
- Self-directed and comfortable with ambiguity and complexity
- Motivated to improve the US Healthcare ecosystem and patient health outcomes
- Portfolio of work demonstrating analytical, communication, and interaction design skills
Here’s our vision: To create a thriving ecosystem that delivers accessible, high-quality, and sustainable healthcare for all.
What’s unique about our locations?
From an historic, 19th century arsenal to a converted, landmark power plant, all of athenahealth’s offices were carefully chosen to represent our innovative spirit and promote the most positive and productive work environment for our teams. Our 10 offices across the United States and India — plus numerous remote employees — all work to modernize the healthcare experience, together.
Our company culture might be our best feature.
We don't take ourselves too seriously. But our work? That’s another story. athenahealth develops and implements products and services that support US healthcare: It’s our chance to create healthier futures for ourselves, for our family and friends, for everyone.
Our vibrant and talented employees — or athenistas, as we call ourselves — spark the innovation and passion needed to accomplish our goal. We continue to expand our workforce with amazing people who bring diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives at every level, and foster an environment where every athenista feels comfortable bringing their best selves to work.
Our size makes a difference, too: We are small enough that your individual contributions will stand out — but large enough to grow your career with our resources and established business stability.
Giving back is integral to our culture. Our athenaGives platform strives to support food security, expand access to high-quality healthcare for all, and support STEM education to develop providers and technologists who will provide access to high-quality healthcare for all in the future. As part of the evolution of athenahealth’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) program, we’ve selected nonprofit partners that align with our purpose and let us foster long-term partnerships for charitable giving, employee volunteerism, insight sharing, collaboration, and cross-team engagement.
What can we do for you?
Along with health and financial benefits, athenistas enjoy perks specific to each location, including commuter support, employee assistance programs, tuition assistance, employee resource groups, and collaborative workspaces — some offices even welcome dogs.
In addition to our traditional benefits and perks, we sponsor events throughout the year, including book clubs, external speakers, and hackathons. And we provide athenistas with a company culture based on learning, the support of an engaged team, and an inclusive environment where all employees are valued.
We also encourage a better work-life balance for athenistas with our flexibility. While we know in-office collaboration is critical to our vision, we recognize that not all work needs to be done within an office environment, full-time. With consistent communication and digital collaboration tools, athenahealth enables employees to find a balance that feels fulfilling and productive for each individual situation.