UI/UX Designer (Dayton, OH; HQ- Woburn, MA; Hybrid (Remote & Onsite); Orlando, FL; Remote)
For more than 25 years, Aptima's mission has been to improve and optimize performance in mission-critical, technology-intensive environments. We apply deep expertise in how humans think, learn, and perform to today's challenges. Whether for fighter pilots functioning in the cockpit, medical staff in the ICU, or teams collaborating across distributed networks, our solutions:
Ensure synergy between humans, the technologies they use, and the organizations within which they operate
Enhance productivity through human-AI teaming, unobtrusive measurement, data analytics, and intelligent interfaces
Accelerate learning, training, and readiness with precision learning that is customized, personalized, and efficient
What Makes Us Unique
Our culture is rooted on three principles that our founders planted, and our employees have embraced ever since— innovation, impact, and empathy. At our core, Aptima researches, develops, and innovates within an area that engineering firms largely ignore, the Human component. In order to impact the world in meaningful ways, you must bring those innovations to light, and that is precisely what we do.
Entrepreneurial and creative energy run through our veins. When our team chooses to continue their education or professionally publish their work, we cheer them on. Teamwork, collaboration, and a relentless focus on our customers are central tenants of our culture. Work hard. Take care of each other. Lead by example. Accept others for who they are.
So, while the world knows us as a company that is moving humans, technology, and AI forward, we believe we are something more.
How You’ll Make an Impact
As a UI/UX Designer at Aptima you’ll take a co-creative approach to designing user experiences with multi-disciplinary teams solving challenging real-world problems on the cutting edge of R&D. In this role, you’ll be continually raising the bar for UX in innovative problem spaces such as human-AI collaboration and human performance optimization. Responsibilities include:
- Participating in the design process on projects alongside teammates and stakeholders.
- Empathizing with users and customers, and advocating for their needs.
- Iterating designs from lo-fi sketches to pixel perfect, implementation-ready prototypes.
- Communicating design requirements to software engineers and collaborating with them to seamlessly transition designs from wireframes to code.
- Collaborating on proposals to win exciting new projects.
- Shaping Aptima’s design culture as a contributing member of our Design Community of Practice.
- Strong understanding of design methods and processes.
- Strong visual design experience in Figma, Axure, or equivalent prototyping tool.
- Ability to work independently, taking in design requirements from design and/or project leads and building prototypes which fulfill them.
- Detail-oriented, with an eye for creating elegant and beautiful visual designs.
- Ability to work collaboratively in multi-disciplinary team environments.
- Familiarity with current design trends and best practices in the industry.
- Experience working with multiple stakeholders (such as users, software engineers, project leads, and management) to resolve problems and recommend alternative approaches.
- Comfort stepping outside your comfort zone, exploring new problems and challenges.
- Bachelors’ Degree in a related field (e.g. Design, Human Factors, Design, Computer Science, Communications Design)
- 2-4 years of experience in User Experience Design or a related field
- UI-UX Portfolio
- U.S. Citizenship
- Veteran status or prior experience working with the US Department of Defense
- Interaction design experience with AI, human-machine teaming, human-in-loop systems, etc.
- Familiarity with Angular 2.0, React, or similar development frameworks
- Ability to obtain a government security clearance
Working Conditions (ADA accommodations may be sought):
- Business travel will be required, oftentimes to military sites.
- Unless otherwise agreed to in writing or authorized under policies of the Company, the employee must report each working day to one of Aptima's places of business to conduct their employment activities.
- All commutes to an employee's assigned place of business will be made without expectation of travel per diem.
All applicants selected will be subject to a background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
Aptima, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to non-discrimination in employment. We select the most qualified individual for the job based on job-related qualifications regardless of race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, disability, ancestry, marital status, credit history, sexual orientation, arrest and court record, genetic information, veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state or other applicable laws.
Aptima, Inc. participates in the US Government E-Verify Program. For more information, click on http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify.
EOE MINORITIES/FEMALES/PROTECTED VETERANS/DISABLED
This is a non-management position
This is a full time position