Evidence Generation Program Director
This position will assume a key leadership role within the Pfizer organization, serving as Program Director in the Portfolio Operations & Project Management (POPM) group of the newly formed Evidence Generation Platform (EvGen). EvGen is responsible for establishing scientific global leadership and stature through the generation of integrated, end-to-end, observational real-world evidence serving all therapeutic areas. EvGen’s objectives are to:
enhance Pfizer’s ability to determine unmet medical needs; support current Product Development programs including finding alternatives and accelerated licensure pathways for new indications through the use of Real World Data (RWD), Real World Insights (RWI) and Real World Evidence (RWE); inform clinical practice on appropriate prescription and use of Pfizer’s products; in collaboration with GAV, strengthen the value evidence package for payers and access/policy decision-makers; support measurement of short- and long-term impact of Pfizer’s products to both patients and populations; support competitive differentiation.
The Program Director provides operational expertise and project management leadership for several RWE initiatives of high complexity across multiple categories and above categories. By developing and implementing best practices in project management and process improvements, they will help establish Pfizer as an industry leader in generation and use of Real World Evidence for drug development. Critical success factors include excellent communication skills, industry savvy, effective collaboration with Pfizer enterprise departments, mastery of complex financial systems, and understanding of how to drive sound portfolio decision analyses and planning.
The Program Director leads PM activities to deliver cost-effective, timely and high-quality Real World Evidence, Real World Data and Real World Insights across the products’ lifecycle management from Proof of Concept (POC) through loss of exclusivity (LOE). The Program Director will ensure delivery of work products within the agreed upon budgets/resources/timelines; play a key role in Op Planning activities for EvGen, Oversee process for inclusion of EvGen in DP3, expertly track budgetary sourcing/spending; maintain high quality, continuous portfolio data availability and analytics; manage portfolio review committee (PRC) requests across specific TAs and may also assist with other duties as assigned.
Consequently, this is a position for a skilled motivated individual who enjoys the challenge and excitement of identifying and deploying best practices in PM to ensure success of the team and Pfizer.
Key strategic deliverables include:
- Develops and implements industry-leading portfolio and study management tools such as the Study Book of Work (BoW), as well as best practices for contracts, MSAs, SOWs, or other platform tools enabling utilization of RWE across programs.
- Builds bridges across category stakeholders as a key player in the successful development and integration of the EvGen Platform to achieve a One Pfizer vision for RWE/RWD/RWI generation. Notably connects with all other relevant Project Management organizations.
- Leads and ensures accurate and timely budget management across all sources of funding for RWE projects. Establishes clear and efficient processes for sourcing funding. Liaises with Finance to align on priorities and resource allocation, and with business partners to ensure alignment with the business/operational strategy and priorities for the RWE platform.
- Identifies need for, drives development, implementation, maintenance, and improvement of project management methodologies within Evidence Generation and the broader organization, where appropriate, leveraging the best practices identified across the organization and beyond.
- Leverages portfolio decision analyses skill sets to assist asset teams and regions with creating business cases for investment in RWE platform.
- Contributes to design and execution of a communication strategy, including above category publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- Provides accurate milestones, timelines and budgets management for RWE projects to ensure delivery against goals (cost, speed, quality).
- Implements and manages governance processes such as Evidence Generation Portfolio Review Committee (PRC).
- Develops and oversees process frameworks for RWE category teams to utilize in managing Evidence Generation deliverables aligned to program strategic plans. (May include Medical Plans, IEP, DP3, Medicine Development Plans, Partner Line Service Agreements, etc).
- Establishes processes and tools for timely and accurate portfolio reporting, creation of briefing documents and communications.
- Maintains portfolio systems and capabilities to support Evidence Generation scope in seamless collaboration with the CMAO, Global Medical Excellence and Innovation (GME&I) and Quality/Compliance.
- Working across lines at Pfizer, creates above category master service agreements (MSAs) and statements of work (SOWs) with external partners/vendors.
- Drives all financial processes including Op Planning, DP3, PMT, Lightspeed asks or any other financial effort for RWE Evidence Generation Platform. With Head of PM, creates processes for RWE category teams to utilize in their financial planning efforts.
- May be responsible for RWE Platform committees planning and execution.
Partner Line and Stakeholder Management
- Responsible for developing and fostering strong working relationship with key Pfizer partners across categories, regions and departments. Identify and implement process improvements to ensure alignment with the evolving Pfizer operational and financial governance processes.
- Responsible for integrated portfolio reporting and analyses to support the requirements of Evidence Generation. Proactively streamlines the processes for resource planning and portfolio prioritization.
- Coordinates effectively with PRD Project & Portfolio Management.
- Represents the team at business venues, meeting, conferences, interactions with external and internal stakeholders.
- Individual contributor, but might have the opportunity to manage others as EvGen expands.
- Leads teams in a matrix-based organization; develops and implements PM tools enabling consistent execution of RWE projects to drive decision making that maximizes business value culminating in high quality strategic and operational delivery within budget constraints.
Talent Development and Performance
- Aligns and motivates colleagues behind the Evidence Generation Vision.
- Fosters leadership and continuous improvement methodologies, leveraging innovative ideas to develop colleague’s skills and ensure EvGen can become/stay the best in the industry.
- Helps identify and recruit key talent and retain them by contributing to building a vibrant culture within the Evidence Generation group.
Candidate demonstrates a breadth of diverse leadership experiences and capabilities including: the ability to influence and collaborate with peers, develop and coach others, oversee and guide the work of other colleagues to achieve meaningful outcomes and create business impact.
- Bachelor's degree in one of the disciplines related to drug development or business management.
- Strong financial acumen, experience managing multi-line complex budgets, including tracking of finances and FTEs.
- Excellent communicator comfortable presenting to senior leadership.
- In-depth knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry in general, and specific knowledge of drug development.
- At least 10 years of experience working in the pharmaceutical industry, with at least 7 years managing multiple, highly complex projects and portfolio governance.
- Advanced scientific (MS, PhD, MD) or business (MBA) degree is preferred.
- Formal training or certification in project management methodologies (PMP, six sigma, Agile)
- Strong contributor to strategic planning with leadership teams and track record of implementation success.
- Strong technical experience in a discipline associated with drug development/commercialization.
- Demonstrated success negotiating in a highly matrix-based organization.
- Strong track record meeting personal and team goals.
- Proven record of implementing portfolio management practices and process improvements.
- Understands R&D portfolio pipeline and in-line asset strategic objectives to effectively ensure tactical implementation.
- Clear understanding of resource management at team and portfolio level.
- Hands-on experience in governance management and portfolio reporting.
- Demonstrated understanding of stakeholder risk management and mitigation strategies to simulate the likely obstacles to project progression.
- Experience utilizing project management software programs such as MS Project, Planisware, Jira, etc.
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
Travel of 5-10%, depending on budgets and COVID restrictions
Other Job Details:
Last Date to Apply for Job: September 22nd, 2023
Additional Location Information: New York, NY; Collegeville, PA; Cambridge, MA
Eligible for Relocation Package: No
#LI-PFEThe annual base salary for this position ranges from $156,900.00 to $261,500.00. In addition, this position offers an annual bonus with a target of 20.0% of the base salary and eligibility to participate in our share based long term incentive program. Benefits offered include a retirement savings plan, paid vacation, holiday and personal days, paid caregiver/parental and medical leave, and health benefits to include medical, prescription drug, dental and vision coverage in accordance with the terms and conditions of the applicable plans. Pfizer compensation structures and benefit packages are aligned locally, the US Salary range provided does not apply to the Tampa, FL or any EXUS locations.
Relocation assistance may be available based on business needs and/or eligibility.
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider’s name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.