Director of Program Development
Massachusetts Technology Collaborative
The Massachusetts Broadband Institute’s (MBI) is seeking a dynamic individual to lead the development of new and innovative broadband and digital equity programs under future and current State and Federal funding. This new position will play a key role in establishing the grant making and technical assistance workstreams that will underpin MBI’s organizational activities for the next 5 – 7 years. The ideal candidate will have proven experience in successfully establishing and managing grant programs with state and/or federal funds, a thorough understanding of the broadband and digital equity related federal funding streams allocated under the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (IIJA) and the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA), and the ability to effectively activate stakeholders to participate in a wide range of program activities.
Lead the development of new and innovative broadband and digital equity programs. The Director of Program Development will lead the development of MBI grant and technical assistance programs designed to ensure universal broadband access, increase broadband adoption, improve affordable broadband options, and ensure that the Commonwealth’s most vulnerable residents have the skills and devices required to participate in all aspects of life.
Specific Duties will include but not be limited to:
- Establishing a thorough understanding of the requirements, limitations, and goals of the major federal funding streams under ARPA (Capital Projects Fund) and IIJA (Broadband Equity, Access and Deployment (BEAD) Program and Digital Equity Act (DEA)).
- Building from base recommendations and findings developed under the Statewide Digital Equity Plan, BEAD Five-Year Action Plan, and BEAD Initial Proposal, identify key target areas and audiences to gear program implementation towards.
- Support the development of MBI program documents, such as grant solicitations, RFIs and grant applications, and MBI procurements, including RFPs.
- Work with organizational leadership and key stakeholders to structure achievable and impactful key progress indicators with which to measure program success.
- Develop effective and efficient staffing patterns and duties to ensure that MBI has sufficient capacity to continue to successfully implement programs over the next 5 – 7 years.
Contribute to the strategic development and future vision of MBI as the State Broadband Office. In collaboration with leadership of MBI and its parent organization, the Massachusetts Technology Collaborative (Mass Tech), the Director of Program Development will play an active role in contributing to the development of strategic planning activities that will guide the continued growth and success of MBI as the Massachusetts State Broadband Office.
Specific duties will include but not be limited to:
- Ongoing participation and discrete leadership roles in the development of key planning documents, including the BEAD Initial and Final Proposals.
- Establishment of strategic workplans for MBI’s discrete project and program workstreams.
- Continued support and coordination with the State Broadband and Digital Equity Working Group.
Ensure ongoing communication and collaboration across state government and with key stakeholders. In collaboration with MBI and Mass Tech leadership, the Director of Program Development will play a supporting role in ensuring ongoing and clear communication across state government and with key stakeholders regarding MBI’s programs, activities and initiatives.
Specific Duties will include but not be limited to:
- Participate in internal organizational leadership meetings and strategic meetings with state agency partners and state and local elected officials.
- Ensure ongoing coordination and engagement with state agency partners related to IIJA and ARPA activities.
- Represent MBI at external meetings and conferences, including formal speaking roles.
Supervise and manage staff responsible for implementation, monitoring, and reporting of MBI program activities. The Director of Program Development will work with a core set of staff to oversee and implement various grant and technical assistance programs developed under State and Federal funding streams.
Specific duties include:
- Establishing clear and effective team communication protocols and policies to ensure an efficient and streamlined work culture.
- Working with staff to establish short, medium, and long term workplans for all staff under supervision.
- Contributing to the professional development and growth of staff to ensure employee retention and job satisfaction.
- 8+ years of experience in economic development, broadband planning, public policy/administration, or a related field;
- Supervisory and team building experience
- Experience developing and implementing complex grant programs
- Experience managing and overseeing state and/or federal funds
- Excellent public speaking skills and experience coordinating with C-Suite executives and chief elected officials.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and in a team environment;
- Experience supporting data analysis, report writing, and visual communication.
- Excellent organizational skills and proven ability to work collaboratively.
- Excellent communication (written and oral) skills.
- Self-motivated, creative thinker with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to meet deadlines and problem-solve
**PLEASE NOTE: THIS POSITION REQUIRES CANDIDATES TO BE ABLE TO WORK IN BOSTON, MA AT LEAST TWO DAYS PER WEEK. THIS IS NOT A FULL-TIME REMOTE POSITION. **
MassTech offers a hybrid work schedule and a competitive total rewards package.