Medical Science Liaison Field Director, PH North Region
Johnson & Johnson
Actelion Pharmaceuticals US Inc. is recruiting for a Medical Science Liaison Field Director - Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension to support the North Region.
The Field Director is responsible for leading a Pulmonary Hypertension (PH) Medical Science Liaison (MSL) regional team in providing scientific, research, and educational support to health care professionals and internal partners related to the current and future Janssen PH products. The Field Director will partner with the MSL Head to set and drive strategy for their region/organized providers. The Field Director is responsible for insuring strong clinical engagement strategy for each territory within their region, and will conduct routine strategy reviews with each MSL direct report. The primary role of the Field Director is to provide support, coaching and development to each of their direct reports (MSLs), utilizing the competency model, routine feedback, and periodic field observation. Secondary roles include maintaining connection and alignment between the field medical team and the home office medical team to refine strategies and to directly connect with key thought leaders when needed to communicate important information. The Field Director will be responsible for the execution of field Medical Affairs programs, including product launches, proactive initiatives, and HCP engagement. The Field Director is responsible for insuring that each direct report is functioning at the expected level of scientific acumen/expertise, presentation skills, and soft skill abilities. The Field Director is responsible to stay abreast of the scientific information and disease states to insure the ability for proficient interaction on the topic and to support modeling and coaching with their team. They will also insure the MSL execution of listening priorities and the collection and analysis of Medical Insights.
- Responsible for the management of a regional Pulmonary Hypertension MSL team including:
- Ensure that team functions according to the business plan and company directives
- Conducts routine team field visits and 1:1 meetings, providing observation and coaching
- Conduct performance coaching and feedback discussions
- Provide oversight responsibility for team’s training and development
- Ensure team optimal capacity, field activity level, and field metrics
- Ensures each MSL territory plan is strategic, up to date and actionable
- Manages the team through special projects and cross functional support activities
The Field Director is responsible for the recruiting and retention of a diverse team of top talent and will actively implement leadership strategies to inspire and motivate their team members
- Provide career and succession planning in support of staff reaching their highest potential
- Provide an optimal working environment by promoting/functioning according to the Credo value, communication of a clear direction, active listening, respecting diversity, encouraging collaborative partnership, empowering direct reports, follow up on commitments, promoting innovation, and rewarding high performance
- Responsible for timely completion of administrative duties. Examples include assessment and approval of expense reports, preparation and communication of team metric reports, among others.
- Co-lead the communication of MSL team achievement updates to appropriate internal partners and levels of management
The Field Director will be responsible for field partner communication and collaboration across their respective regions. They will insure their team’s compliant, routine communication with all partners, such as Business Directors, District Managers, Key Account Leaders (KALs), Key Customer Engagement Managers (KCEMs) and other PH MSLs.
- Participate business planning activities as necessary across the various brands and within Medical Affairs. Ensure appropriate training on and execution of proactive initiatives and other permissible field activities.
- A minimum of a Master’s degree is required. PharmD, PhD, MD highly preferred.
- Minimum of 8 years experience required; 4-5 years of pharmaceutical industry, clinical/research experience is required and 2-3 years of MSL experience is required.
- TA-related experience is required.
- Previous people management responsibility is preferred.
- Requires regional travel of approx. 60% depending on geography (includes overnight travel); Ability to maintain an office in the home required. Must live in their assigned region and in close proximity to an airport. Must be available to attend periodic national scientific congresses and key strategic/scientific meetings at the corporate office in Titusville, NJ.
The anticipated base pay range for this position is $152,000 USD to $263,350 USD.
At Johnson & Johnson, we’re on a mission to change the trajectory of health for humanity. That starts by creating the world’s healthiest workforce. Through cutting-edge programs and policies, we empower the physical, mental, emotional and financial health of our employees and the ones they love. As such, candidates offered employment must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or secure an approved accommodation prior to the commencement of employment to support the well-being of our employees, their families and the communities in which we live and work.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
For more information on how we support the whole health of our employees throughout their wellness, career and life journey, please visit www.careers.jnj.com .
Something looks off?